STOCKBIDGE PHOTOGRAPHIC COLLECTION
William H. Stockbridge was a civilian employee who served as assistant to the head of the Department of Drawing for many years. Although his primary responsibility was to prepare material for the instruction of cadets, he was also an official photographer for the Military Academy and did extensive work for USMA Headquarters and other officers on post. Most of Stockbridge's photographs were taken during the first two decades of the 20th century, although he continued his work until the early 1930's.
Until 1912, a commercial photographer, T.J. McManus, was also authorized to do photographic work at the Academy, primarily cadet portraits and photographs for the yearbook. Another commercial firm, the White Studio of New York City, replaced the McManus Studio that same year (see entry 412). Official photographic work at the Academy was subsequently accomplished by an Army Signal corps photography laboratory established at West Point in the early days of World War II.
Description taken from: Tozeski, Stanley P. Preliminary Inventory of the Records of the United States Military Academy: Record Group 404. Washington: National Archives & Records Service, General Services Administration, 1976, 90-91. Retrieved from http://library.usma.edu:80/record=b1076745~S0